October 14, 2008

Post One Hundred Fifty Three: The story behind yesterday's post

While things have apparently recovered in my household, I wanted to vent just a little, as well as make a record for posterity's sake.

This past Friday, the wife had arranged for us to have dinner with some friends that evening. While arrangements were being made, I told her I had a deposition in Houston that day, but that it shouldn't be a problem getting back in time.

Well, needless to say I could not get on an earlier flight back to Dallas thanks to my lack of standing with American Airlines. At around 2:00 that afternoon, I told her I would not be able to get on an earlier flight. I landed at DFW at 8:30. She somehow made this my fault, and thinks it was "rude" (again, me) despite my utter lack of control over the situation.

Things did not get any better over the weekend.

Saturday morning she gets up with the kids and is pissed at that to start out. She takes them to ice skating lessons, and I proceed to try to mow the lawn. The weedeater, however, suffers damage after a fall. After spending time trying to fix it (and scratching up my ankle and hand doing so . . . don't ask), I have to go out and see if I can find a part at a motor shop. Conveniently, the shop decides to close at noon on that particular Saturday, which I discovered when I show up there at @ 11:35 with the store already closed. So I don't get the necessary piece. I return home to mow the lawn (front and back). After I finish, I walk in and she is annoyed that I'm just finishing up at that time. Sigh.

After getting cleaned up, we sit at the table to discuss errands. She has to go to the store, I have to get my oil changed. She is apparently annoyed that both kids did not want to go with me (only the oldest).

We then have dinner at another friend's house Saturday night, and afterwards she is pissed off because the host invited all the guys to watch the OSU/Missouri game after dinner, and all of the husbands tag along. Not one word of complaint from any of the ladies, and all of the couples' kids are off entertaining themselves, but she takes it out on me, of course.

Sunday, I get up with the kids and let her sleep in. We then proceed to go to church, return home, then I have to go back to the church for a 2+ hour council meeting. I come home just wanting to watch the Cowboys game, and she gives me grief because she is in the process of cleaning out her closet, and not helping with that. I watch the game anyway.

We then have dinner, and we go upstairs. She's watching Extreme Home Makeover and complains that she just wants an hour to watch the show uninterrupted so I have responsibility to watch the kids. My oldest and a friend of hers who is staying over are entertaining themselves. The youngest, however, is tired and grumpy, and only wants to be with her mommy. I suppose I could have torn her away (making the situation worse) but oh, well.

I then put the youngest to bed, and take the other two downstairs to give the wife some "alone time." About two hours worth. I get the girls to bed. After that, the wife lays into me about her not having her hour to watch the Home Makeover show, and once again complaining about how she does "everything" around the house. This is a constant refrain because when I do housework I don't make a point of doing it in her presence so I can get credit for it. Regardless, I apparently do nothing around the house, despite my having taken care of the dishes, all the lawn work, folded two baskets of laundry, taken care of trash, etc., etc. She goes to bed pissed.

Monday morning, she is still pissed at me and did not set any kind of alarm to wake us up, despite the fact that I still have to go to work on Columbus Day (she is home with the kids). I wake up at 7:00 a.m., and have to tear ass out. All of this happens with my just taking this abuse: no counter, no recriminations on my part. Then she sends me an e-mail wondering why it is that "she's the bad guy" and again, how I don't do anything around the house.

Being married is a good thing.

Being married is worthwhile.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home