September 01, 2008

Post One Hundred Forty Five: Labor Day

The wife is currently in London/Paris, and will be returning home Saturday after being out of the country for 15 days. This leaves me with the kids on a holiday, i.e., no school to take the kids off my hands for the day. That's okay because of the two of us I'm the one who can actually handle being left alone with the kids for more than an overnight trip.

The kids woke me up this morning so I could fix them bacon and eggs. That went over okay, but I think all they really wanted was the left-over donut holes from yesterday. Got them showered and dressed, and now the plan is to go see Kung Fu Panda* at the dollar theater this afternoon, at which point they'll likely have popcorn and a drink. Then we'll run by the mall so I can get a new battery put in a watch, then return home so I can cook hamburgers on the grill (it is Labor Day after all). Gotta remember the tater tots, too. I have a fantasy football draft at 7:15 tonight, so the kids will be watching something at that time. Then, after I get the kids to bed, I'll likely try to do some work but I may just decide to hit bed early. That's my Labor Day in a nutshell.

You know, the wife could not handle it if I went away for two weeks solid. Shit, if I go away for three days (such as when I was in Tallahassee) she constantly bitches about the kids and everything she's got going on at work. Give me a fucking break. It's just a matter of not getting too worked up over minor stuff. Also, it helps if you force the kids to find things to do ("go outside and play" is a great phrase) as opposed to just turning on the TV and letting them veg out in front of it. That leads to big-time boredom.

But I will say breaks are important. Yesterday I brought the babysitter over to take care of the kids for a couple hours so I could go to the gym. I also went out and found a small table for our printer in the study, which had been taking up a bunch of space on the desk. That 3-hour break helped. Of course, all I can do now is think about how much I have to do for work, but that'll take care of itself (figuratively, I mean: I just have a knack for getting things done when they need to get done).

Regardless, I'm looking forward to the wife getting back. I need a happy hour out.

*We actually watched this at home a couple of weeks ago, but the copy was not very good. To the reader of the blog that this is relevant to, please try and be a little more careful about what you make available, will you?**

**Joking, I'm joking! Please don't terminate my password!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home