May 10, 2006

Post Forty-Six: Bad basketball analogy

As I mentioned a couple of days ago, the out-of-state partner came to berate the associates about their billable hours (he also showed us the plans for the new space, but that's beside the point).

Well, this partner told us associates a story about Scottie Pippen to motivate us. "I want you to be the ones to step up . . . to be willing to take the final shot." As he told the story, Phil Jackson drew up a play in the playoffs with 2 seconds left against the Knicks, a play that had Pippen taking the last shot. Again, as the partner told it, Pippen refused to take the shot, and sat down on the bench. And that is why he "hates Pippen" to this day, and has no respect for him at all.

Well, I know and (I presume) you know that's just not right. Pippen sat on the bench because he WANTED the shot, but Jackson had drawn it up for Kucoc. Not exactly a "team" kind of attitude, but the truth kind of defeats the whole moral of the partner's story, huh?

Nonetheless, I don't think I'll be calling the partner on his error (or bullshit, as it were). I'm just going to sum this up to "Never let the truth get in the way of a good story."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home