August 20, 2008

Post One Hundred Forty One: I'm in Tallahassee

I'm still not sure if I'm spelling the name of this city right, but here I am in Florida. Three and 1/2 days (if I'm lucky) of defending the deposition of one expert. That's right: three days of the same damn thing.

While it basically sucks, there are a couple of pluses: first, there is not a lot of prep work to do on this. The expert is pretty much going to say what he is going to say, and I don't have a lot of control over him (a fact acknowledged by one of the partners at the firm). It is a good thing that he is always on message, even when he doesn't need to be.

Second, I rack up the billable hours doing these kind of trips. For instance, I spend time reviewing the expert reports (among other things) while I'm killing time in the hotel. And pretty much every moment I am out of the room I am billing. Not that it matters since I'm out here on some contingency cases (plaintiffs' work . . . gads), so it's not like I'm bringing in an hourly rate. But it still goes to my hours report at the end of the month.

And I'm going to need the hours. The wife leaves for Asia on Friday for two-plus weeks. At this point I am just hoping that I make it home Friday night. There is a chance that I could miss my Friday night flight due to the length of the deposition; if that's the case, my girls will have to stay with my youngest's godparents (a couple of our best friends) overnight, and I really don't want to have to do that to either the girls or our friends. In any event, I owe them huge.

Excuse me, I have to go find something else on TV other than this shitty Robin Williams movie on HBO that just started.

. . .

Oh, good: Family Guy.

Has anyone else noticed just how shitty HBO is when you're staying in a hotel? Yes, Hard Knocks was on tonight, but could they possibly show any more of Generation Kill? Having been forced to watch each fucking episode (most at least twice), I can tell you that show is vastly overrated. It's time for hotels to upgrade to Showtime.

Anyway, I'm going to bed. Enough of this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home