December 07, 2005

Post Twenty-four: Who judged this thing?

Random post: I was listening to "The Devil Went Down to Georgia" by the Charlie Daniels Band on Sirius the other day. You should all know the story: Johnny agrees to a fiddle contest with the Devil for a fiddle of gold against his soul. Per the lyrics, Johnny wins ("the Devil hung his head because he knew that he'd been beat"), and adds insult to injury by insulting the Devil's lineage coupled with considerable braggadocio ("I told you once, you son of a bitch, I'm the best that's ever been").

Anyone else actually like the Devil's version? That "evil hiss" really grabbed me at the start, and the general menacing tone of his fiddle just destroys Johnny's generic lyrics about chickens. The Devil was robbed! Robbed, I tell you!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home