December 01, 2005

Post Twenty-one: Amusing legal anecdote

Had a hearing this morning on some special exceptions to the plaintiff's petition (it is now a month before trial). The judge was in a good mood. His granddaughter (let's call her Amy), who is about six years old, was spending the day with him, as she hurt her lip yesterday and didn't want to go to school. Plaintiff's counsel and I were in the judge's chambers, since no record was required: this judge likes to keep it informal. Anyway, Amy went to his coordinator's office, at which point the judge turned to me and said "What are you doing here with this special exception bullshit???"

I immediately yelled for Amy to rejoin us so she could help me with my argument. Or so I could at least use her as a shield.

Ended up with Plaintiff's counsel agreeing to replead, which is what I expected.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you like being a lawyer?

6:30:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Noticed your post on fark.com about Puddle of Mudd ripping off an ST song in "She Hates Me." Funny, I've long held that "She Hates Me" is a watered-down, barely-concealed "tribute" to Nirvana's "Rape Me. ;)

6:32:00 PM  
Blogger Juggernaut said...

Yeah, I enjoy being an attorney ("lawyer" has such negative connotations). There was a time that I was wondering why I did this to myself, but it's amazing what a change in work-environment will do.

Plus, the money's not too bad.

1:18:00 PM  
Blogger Juggernaut said...

I'm going to have to dig out In Utero again and take a listen. Wouldn't surprise me at all.

1:21:00 PM  
Blogger Juggernaut said...

Since you brought up Nirvana (if "anonymous" reads these comments again), I once read that the chord progression of "Smells Like Teen Spirit" is the same as "Godzilla." (you know: "ooooh no, there goes Tokyo . . ."). That amused me.

1:23:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home