March 17, 2008

Post One Hundred Twenty Four: Dave Pirner

I traveled to Biloxi, Mississippi yesterday for some mediations going on this week, and arrived at Love Field in Dallas to wait for my flight. I was in the lobby, having just finished my Chili's quesadillas, when a little boy pulling a suitcase and his mom came walking up and sat down across from me. Shortly after they sat down, up walked Dave Pirner from Soul Asylum. I recognized him right off: the dude's still got the same distinctive hair. But still, there was some twinge of doubt, so I looked up a few photos of him on Flicker via my phone to confirm my suspicions. The pictures confirmed it, but then the boy's suitcase flipped over, revealing the boy's last name: Pirner. Proof positive.

I thought it was kind of cool that I recognized him when no one else did, but I wasn't going to be "that guy" and browbeat him while he's there with his wife and kid. In fact, I can't remember any instance of my being that enamored of celebrity to seek out a photo or autograph. So I went about my business, and just boarded the plane.

Well, on the flight I got to thinking about a couple of Soul Asylum's songs ("April Fool" and "99%") and how much I liked them, and decided I wanted to say something to him. So after the flight, I waited until he and his family broke away from the crowd and then quietly approached him to thank him for his contributions to my music collection. He laughed, said "thanks," we shook hands and I left him to his family. He seemed very down to earth and pretty normal (for a lead singer, I suppose), and I was glad I said something. How often do you get to personally thank these people for creating the music you love?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home