February 21, 2008

Post One Hundred Twenty: "Love Song" and other odds and ends

I'm mainly a metalhead. Anthrax, Slayer, Lamb of God, etc. But thanks to Alt Nation on Sirius, I feel like my tastes continue to expand. Some might say mature. Regardless, some of the songs I end up really liking would strike many as odd (not the least of all me).

Take Sara Bareilles' "Love Song:" very much a throwback to the 70s. A simple piano tune and rhythm, with a sweeping chorus that is really catchy as hell. What strikes me most about the song is the lyrics. I'm not going to bother quoting them (take your lazy ass out and go listen to the song), but it strikes me as her ultimatum to a manager or a "suit" from the record company, telling him flat out that she's going to write and sing the songs she wants to. At least, I kind of hope that's what the song is about. If it's just some kind of lame put-off of a boyfriend, I'll be disappointed. In any event, I have been extremely guilty of blatantly misinterpreting the intentions of authors in the past (John Dunne and Lewis Carroll spring to mind), so I wouldn't be surprised if I'm missing the point of this little pop song.

Another band that I'm am very big on right now: MGMT. "Time to Pretend" has to be one of the greatest songs of the last year. Hellaciously catchy. Driving. Lyrics that are both entertaining and bittersweet. It's just one of those songs that moved me when I first heard it, and it hasn't changed since. Based on the strength of that song, I went and bought Oracular Spectacular. Admittedly, it took some time for it to grow on me, but there are some really good songs on there: "Kids", "The Youth," "Pieces of What," and "Electric Feel" are all high points. Go buy a copy.

Also worth mentioning: I'm a huge Jack Johnson fan. But really, who isn't? I'll be seeing him if and when he makes it through Texas.

5 Comments:

Blogger FlashCap said...

Nice post, but it's John "Donne."

And I have heard that Sarah...whatever song - it's catchy, but still can't see myself actually buying such an album. In fact, I can pretty much guarantee that's not going to happen. Still too much corporate pop to me. I don't think I'm trying to be condescending here, but catchy pop tunes are a dime a dozen.

Beyond Hard Attack, I've been listening to Sirius Classical - Pops more and more - it plays the classical stuff I recognize, plus a lot I don't, plus movie themes as well. Nothing like driving to work and the theme to "Indiana Jones" coming on. Gets me energized for the day.

11:40:00 AM  
Blogger FlashCap said...

And isn't there a certain irony to the fact that this song becomes a chief single off her album? She's complaining about being asked to write a "hit," and then, lo and behold, she writes a catchy pop tune. Then goes on the talk show tours playing this song, and then the host reminds us that it's "on her new album."

11:48:00 AM  
Blogger FlashCap said...

And, finally, is it really all that odd that you like these songs? They're made to be liked. Blues Traveler's "The Hook" explains the process of writing a hit tune - that's what commercially successful artists do.

I'm sure you listen to the Disney Channel at times (you do have daughters) - that's all those songs are - catchy choruses, musically, though the lyrics are often nonsense, and the verses are even less memorable, because their sole purpose is to get to the sing along chorus.

And really, if the music sucks, the song's not going to be listened to, defeating the purpose of music. So to judge the value of today's music, we've got to look at the lyrics, and you're right, Sara B's lyrics are a bit clever...though, as I wrote above, very ironic in the end result.

11:56:00 AM  
Blogger FlashCap said...

oops - it's also "Lewis Carroll"

7:45:00 PM  
Blogger Juggernaut said...

What can I say? I'm a sucker for a catchy hook.

9:42:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home