February 24, 2008

Post One Hundred Twenty One: Bloodsimple

In an attempt to atone for my prior confession of occasionally enjoying some catchy, mass-market-appealing pop songs [NOTE: this does NOT refer to MGMT], I want to urge anyone who stumbles across this blog to go out and obtain a copy of Bloodsimple's Red Harvest. Best metal album of 2008. Or at least the best metal album I've bought in 2008, since I just checked and it appears to have been released in 2007.

My first real exposure to Bloodsimple was their cover of "5 to 1," one of my favorite Doors songs. I have long wanted someone to do a metal version of the song, or to cover it myself once I got my metal band together (ha!). And then I find this. Bloodsimple nailed it. Dammit. There goes the need to form my band.

Regardless, the last time I checked their cover was available on their MySpace page for download, so go see if it's still there. That's where I found it and I now have it on my iPod. After that, I was curious to see what they were about, but the songs I heard from them via Hard Attack on Sirius were more in the vein of straight-edge metal, like Hatebreed (at least that's my recollection). Not to knock straight-edge metal too much, but I like some elements of melody in my metal.

[Fuck. Again with the preference for catchy elements. Would it help me out to say that I own Napalm Death's "greatest hits," and that I think they are genius?]

Anyway, Sirius started out with "Whiskey Bent and Hellbound." I liked it and was encouraged. But the selling point was "Out to Get You." Hell of a song, and it drove me to pick it up over the weekend. While I have enjoyed every song on the album (it's a total package), high points include (other than those previously mentioned): "Ride With Me" (and again with the Doors . . . I sense an influence), "Dark Helmet," "Dead Man Walking," and one of my personal favorites, "Suck it Up."

So chalk me up as a fan of Bloodsimple. I'll make the effort to see them when they come through.

2 Comments:

Blogger Magnus said...

So...is this a post to make up for the previous one where you admitted to liking Jack Johnson? (or however you spell his name) :)

8:31:00 AM  
Blogger Juggernaut said...

More to make up for my liking of "Love Song." I think liking Jack Johnson is okay.

3:26:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home