July 11, 2007

Post Ninety-Eight: The Return of Thor


All is right with the world.

Thor made his triumphant return in Thor #1, released on July 5, 2007. Greatness, pure and simple. If you have read my previous posts, you may think that I am a little biased in this regard. Well, you're right. But that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

Of course, there are those who do not share my enthusiasm for his return:

"Thor" #1 was described by Comics Ink owner Steve LeClaire as "twenty two pages of 'hi, I'm back!'" That may have been too generous -- a syllogism is somehow pressed into service as a framing device and the whole issue tries to hang on it. Unsuccessfully.

Fuck this guy. What did he want, Thor kicking Galactus' ass on page 1? Thor could have done it, but I think it's best to ease into these things. As my brother and esteemed (and by that I mean published AND quoted in Marvel press releases) comic critic Flash Cap put it:

I don't agree with that review at all. Thor DIED. You can't just come into issue #1 and forget about that. [The writer] had to explain, credibly, what allowed Thor to come back, and how Donald Blake figured in all of it. It also served to catch up new readers on Thor's history, and hint at what's to come.

Speaking of what's to come, it has been strongly hinted that Thor is going to be the one to put an end to the Hulk's rampage taking place in World War Hulk. In fact, I've read rumors that the last issue is going to be a battle royale between Thor and the Hulk.

. . .

. . .

Sorry, I tend to get all reflective and giddy just thinking about that scene. Regardless, the only thing that could probably make this better is if Captain America was alive. But I guess the powers that be at Marvel realized a few years ago that having Thor and Captain America co-exist in their Universe was just too much awesomeness for the average reader to tolerate, as evidenced by the following:


Perhaps in a couple years everyone else will be ready. But for now we've got Thor.

1 Comments:

Blogger FlashCap said...

Um, yeah, that's just about the coolest picture I've ever seen. I'm tempted to replace a picture of my daughters with that one as my comp. background.

10:32:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home